Use Variance

A Use Variance is required when one is seeking to utilize a building or space in a different way than is allotted in the zoning code. A handful of examples include:


  • A business owner wants to open a coffee shop in a zoning district that is zoned for single family residential living.


  • An investor is seeking to rent out a property that is currently zoned rsa-5 (single family) as three units (triplex).


  • A homeowner loves his cage-free eggs and only trusts to eat them when they come from chickens in his backyard.


  • An acupuncturist wants to open her own acupuncture studio on the first floor of her large, single family household.